Saturday, March 10, 2007

We're back from the Maldives!

Sunny, sandy, salty Maldives were lovely!
Talk about diver's paradise!
I couldn't believe the underwater visibility.
We saw fish I've just read about in books.

Highlights?
Swimming with sharks...
Turtles...
and Dolphins
Oh MY!
Marcy in SCUBA gear
This is me on one of our first days. I can tell this because I was still wearing a full suit. After a while of this I got sick and tired of it and decided to just dive in a swim suit and T-shirt. Gotta tell you, it was much more comfortable!

Sea turtle on the Maldives
This was the first turtle we met. We were actually just snorkeling in the little lagoon around the island and here he came! What fun to follow him for a little while and watch him as he searched for dinner. The coolest thing about it was that it has been N's dream to see one of these guys close up and we managed to see five of them over the two week period.

Marcy in SCUBA gear
Yup, I found Nemo!
Actually I really enjoyed encountering the little guys. The area we were in didn't have too many soft corals, so finding an anemone with a family of clownfish was an event for me. Even more cool was that we saw many families of a clownfish which is just indigenous to the Maldives. It is called the Black-Footed Clownfish in English, but it was cool to note that the German name literally translated is Maldivian Clownfish. If you look closely in the picture you can see the bottom fins are actually black... giving it the impression of having black feet.

Well, that is all I have edited so far. I would like to put more here soon... we took almost 3GB of photos, so I'm sure I can come up with some better stuff.

No comments: