Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Random Tuesday - No name version

Whoo hooo... It's been a LOOONNNNNGGG time since I've been on the Random Tuesday Bandwagon. I've missed the ladies, and thought I would take a circle with them today and catch up on what kind of craziness Keely is up to... so, let's go!

No and I bought a new blender/mixer thing after the Tchibo POS finally gave out. It has this weird glowy/blue/hologram thingy that kinda freaks me out when I walk into the kitchen. Nothing says "I'm home" like a making frozen margaritas (come on, you didn't think we were going to make healthy smoothies or something) in a machine which looks as though it came directly off the set of Star Trek.

Last Friday the image you see to the left opened in a little Berlin gallery named Cozmic Photos.

It's not my best work, but since it was an assignment (Reflections) and I HATE assignments, I don't think it's too bad. Click through to get more of the story.

Summer has made it to Berlin. The last few days were crazy hot. All of this in a place with very few air-conditioned buildings. Unfortunately this has brought back sooo many of my gripes with some of the Germans (thankfully a minority) and how they handle heat.

First off... um, there is this thing called soap... when used with water over your body it can help get rid of the severe STANK the rest of us around are getting from SOME Berliners. I've been taking upwards of three showers a day, I would hope that the dude I ran into last night on the underground was on his way home to one... WHEW!

My Dear Krauts. Air will not hurt you. I don't mean super-chilled, flying out of the air conditioner air... I'm talking about opening a freaking window and allowing the BREEZE into the room/car/train/whatever. If it is hot enough to cause perspiration while simply sitting, hey... it is hot enough to OPEN a window. No, it doesn't hurt your kidneys (where did that come from?) No, your back will not seize up. No, the dry mouth and sore throat you have didn't come from the FAN, it came from mild dehydration because you're sitting in a room that is 35 DEGREES!! (Celsius - 95F)

Football Fever has the Jerrys at a fevered pitch. The German National Team have been solidly beating all comers (except for Serbia - funny, that) the whole way through the World Cup. Next up is Spain on Wednesday which I'm sure will be a real knuckle-biter. We hope to watch it from the Berliner FanMeile with 350,000 of our good friends. (well, at least we'll be in the area... we'll get into the VIP area to enjoy the game a bit more safely.)

Bad news. My beloved Beelitz-Heilstätten is being closed by its owner. It is my favorite place in the world to take pictures. Some of you clicked through to those links and wonder why a place that looks like it is already falling down - is closing down. Well, the owner says that he will no longer abide the trespassers (like me) who love the place soooo very much. It seems that not all of us come with the idea of "Take only pictures, leave only footprints, kill only time". The vandalism is getting out of hand, and I don't blame the guy for trying to secure his property. But dammit, I want to be able to go play.

Speaking of playing. This time next week No and I will be playing in Paris, helping the French celebrate La Fête Nationale. Yes, I expect to see plenty of French flags and fireworks, eat lots of food smothered in butter, and finally taste a REAL French Baguette. Oh, and take THOUSANDS of pictures. OOOHHH! Check out this little gizmo showing Paris!!! One of my Frenchie buddies gave me the link while giving me clues of where we simply MUST GO while in La Ville-Lumière.

Thanks for playing Random Tuesday Thoughts, head on over to Keely at the UnMom for more randomness.

Now for a cool video.
World-renowned animated graffiti artist BLU returns following a ten-month hiatus with a stunning new production called “BIG BANG BIG BOOM: an unscientific point of view on the beginning and evolution of life … and how it could probably end.”


BIG BAG BIG BOOM - the new wall-painted animation by BLU from blu on Vimeo.
post signature

9 comments:

annies home said...

love your wonderful random thoughts especcially about the one with the guy needing to bathe LOL

Amanda G said...

The animals are miserable, the humans are miserable, yep summer has finally come to my little area too. It's been crazy hot since Sunday (topped out at 31C yesterday), which is crazy since a week ago today it was only 15C out!
Stay cool and Happy Random Tuesday.
amanda ( from myramblings.ca)

The Crazy Coxes said...

Love the random! I'm laughing at the thought that your three showers will somehow make your fellow citizens smell better! Too funny. You can always hope!
The only time we watch soccer is during the World Cup. But it's fun to watch then. Ohhhh the drama!
Have a great Tuesday!

Adam said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person taking multiple showers every day.

Today was mild with only two--but I have to tell you my office was steaming hot when I got into it this afternoon. Nothing like DG offices!

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

We just got home from Greece and they have the same aversions to soap and opening the dang windows. What is up with that?

Gorgeous Photo!!!! Great shot.

Beta Dad said...

I lived in Germany (Garmisch) for a long time. Luckily it didn't get too hot there.

My friend dated a German woman for a while, and when she came to visit him in Virginia in the middle of August, he rented a car with AC so they could go for a road trip (his beater truck didn't have AC). They drove all the way to Vermont and she wouldn't let him turn on the AC because it freaked her out. And she complained about the heat the whole time she was in the States.

Tchuss!

Anonymous said...

Dude, good for you with your photograph in the gallery! You always take such lovely pictures.

I'm terribly nervous about the fußball game ever since I heard Paul the Octopus ate the Spanish mussel! If this isn't making any sense, here's what I'm talking about.

Have fun in Paris! Hopefully it won't be too hot. And even if it is, there are great picture taking opportunities at night.

Maria said...

My partner is spending the summer in Africa on a Fulbright scholarship. She writes that there is no a/c since electricity is only a sometimes thing. She said that her African friends giggle a little about how hygienic Americans are. She said she has never smelled so many types of bo in her life.

Goofball said...

I love the idea of using the blender for margerita's


too bad Germany didn't make it to the final...I was cheering for a Dutch - German final and the Dutch didn't have to become world championship (wouldn't want my colleagues to brag for 4 years :p)