Wednesday, January 10, 2007

New Years Resolutions

New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions.
Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.

~Mark Twain

I have given myself a New Year's Resolution... Normally that isn't something I do... It always seems delusionary... because most people make them and just break them within a few weeks. I don't know if that makes me a realist or a pessimist... but it has always come off as a bunch of bullshit to me.

But here I am... stepping into something I would not only like to do... but really NEED to do. At this point I'm ashamed that I've been in Germany for two years and I can barely muddle through a normal conversation in the local language... Wie Bitte?

This year I will work harder on learning German. There is always a good reason... I don't have the time, energy, brainpower, or whatever... hell, everyone here in Berlin speaks lovely English... and they all want to practice... why should I stop them??

So today I spoke with the pharmacist entirely in German... no, I didn't revert back to English words for German vocabulary I didn't have, no I didn't use Denglish... I went the whole way. When she switched to English because she could hear my English accent, I kept up with the German and she switched back.

Wish me luck!

No comments: